Task #10824 (closed)
RFE: NetworkChecker modifications
|Reported by:||jamoore||Owned by:||sebastien.simard@…|
|Keywords:||n.a.||Cc:||jburel, cxallan, mtbcarroll, bpindelski, sylittlewood|
Description (last modified by jamoore)
- https://github.com/openmicroscopy/openmicroscopy/issues/821 (J-M)
- https://github.com/openmicroscopy/openmicroscopy/pull/1070 (Zeb) (and https://www.openmicroscopy.org/community/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4509)
- https://github.com/openmicroscopy/openmicroscopy/pull/1075 (J-M)
- https://github.com/openmicroscopy/openmicroscopy/pull/1128 (Josh)
Now that isNetworkUp() is called on every remote invocation reducing blockages will become paramount.
Suggested improvements from a discussion with Chris Allan:
- Move from testing openmicroscopy.org.uk to testing the server/port that Ice is configured to use. This may require housing the NetworkChecker inside of the SecurityContext, though on shutdown it's unclear which one should be used.
- Set timeouts on all sockets. If using URL, set via URLConnection#setReadTimeout
Further improvements which could also be considered (perhaps as a second ticket):
- Check uses of getHostAddress for hanging (see https://github.com/openmicroscopy/openmicroscopy/pull/1075/files#L3R2384)
Consider a reflection-based method which would use the improved Java 6 APIs if available.(Done in PR 1128)
- Refactor NetworkChecker? to include logging.