Notice: In order to edit this ticket you need to be either: a Product Owner, The owner or the reporter of the ticket, or, in case of a Task not yet assigned, a team_member"

Task #11328 (closed)

Opened 7 years ago

Closed 6 years ago

Decide on a policy for consortium dependencies

Reported by: spli Owned by: sbesson
Priority: major Milestone: Testing2
Component: Documentation Version: 4.4.8
Keywords: n.a. Cc: hflynn, jamoore, sbesson, imunro-x, khgillen
Resources: n.a. Referenced By: n.a.
References: n.a. Remaining Time: n.a.
Sprint: n.a.

Description (last modified by spli)

If a consortium add on is installed it may require third party dependencies such as Python modules, other compiled libraries, etc.
E.g. https://github.com/openmicroscopy/omero_searcher/pull/9#issuecomment-21789327 onwards

We should consider some guidelines on 'best practice'. For example, if we recommend using virtualenv should we also recommend the --system-site-packages flag? The advantage is that admins can install many OMERO dependencies using a distribution provided package instead of having to use pip and potentially deal with compilation problems (especially with numpy and scipy), and also means they won't unexpectedly get a major version bump. The disadvantage is that you can end up with an incompatible mix of modules.

For Matlab should we have a recommended version? E.g. FLIMfit https://www.openmicroscopy.org/site/community/minutes/conference-calls/2013/2013-07-30-tuesday-team-meeting

If we ever have multiple projects requiring different versions of the same dependency it could get interesting.

Change History (7)

comment:1 Changed 7 years ago by spli

  • Description modified (diff)
  • Summary changed from Decide on a policy for server-side Python modules to Decide on a policy for consdortium dependencies

comment:2 Changed 7 years ago by spli

  • Cc hflynn jamoore sbesson imunro-x khgillen added
  • Component changed from General to Documentation
  • Description modified (diff)
  • Owner set to hflynn
  • Priority changed from minor to major
  • Summary changed from Decide on a policy for consdortium dependencies to Decide on a policy for consortium dependencies

comment:3 Changed 7 years ago by hflynn

  • Owner changed from hflynn to sbesson
  • Sprint changed from Testing and Docs (1) to Testing and Docs (2)

i suspect Sebastien is going to be the best person to handle this - changing ownership & sprint to August testing run.

comment:4 Changed 7 years ago by jamoore

Discussing with Sebastien. This issue may be a little larger than we can tackle at the moment.

comment:5 Changed 7 years ago by jburel

  • Sprint Testing and Docs (2) deleted

Removing from the current sprint since it is a larger issue. This might be turned into a story.

comment:6 Changed 7 years ago by jamoore

  • Milestone changed from Testing and Docs to Testing2

comment:7 Changed 6 years ago by spli

  • Resolution set to invalid
  • Status changed from new to closed

Closing, will be handled in Trello if necessary.

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets. You may also have a look at Agilo extensions to the ticket.

1.3.13-PRO © 2008-2011 Agilo Software all rights reserved (this page was served in: 0.226229 sec.)

We're Hiring!