Task #9971 (closed)
Bug: OMERO.tables string columns are silently truncated
|Reported by:||spli||Owned by:||spli|
Description (last modified by spli)
String columns in OMERO.Tables have a width that is defined when the table is initialised. If a string longer than than this width is inserted it is silently truncated.
Also, the column width defaults to 1 if nothing/0 is specified at initialisation.
Fixes to either of these could be considered (undocumented) API changes. The first should be uncontroversial, the latter I consider a bug too: I think the main reason a user would omit the width is if they thought StringColumns? could hold strings of any length, whereas the current implementation creates a column of width 1 and silently truncates added data. It's unclear whether #1716 was intended to work around only uninitialised columns, or to deliberately default to size 1.
Change History (9)
comment:1 Changed 8 years ago by spli
- Component changed from General to API
- Milestone set to Unscheduled
- Summary changed from OMERO.tables string columns are silently truncated to Bug: OMERO.tables string columns are silently truncated
- Type changed from Bug to Task
comment:3 Changed 8 years ago by spli
- Milestone changed from Unscheduled to OMERO-4.5
- Remaining Time set to 0.5
- Sprint set to 2012-12-18 (3)
- Status changed from new to accepted
comment:4 Changed 8 years ago by spli
- Description modified (diff)
- Priority changed from minor to major